Main Menu
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
15 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 15

more...
Contribute to Hosting!
If you like this site, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation! Your donation will be used to help me pay for hosting, as i'm making no other money from this site at all, and life is hard as a student sometimes
Contributers: julesnash, stormuk, Bisque, 2 Anonymous...
Online History

Gryphon817
3 hours 13 minutes ago

Timmathy
4 hours 13 minutes ago

JPrince2
6 hours 28 minutes ago

SydneyE4
7 hours 36 minutes ago

Troubador
7 hours 51 minutes ago

Bernd
11 hours 56 minutes ago

kaylesmal
12 hours 17 minutes ago

bandbox4
13 hours 39 minutes ago

Ocean37
15 hours 12 minutes ago

yipho622
15 hours 25 minutes ago
Advertisements
Site Info
Webmasters
fishsponge
fishsponge

Recommend Us
Site Disclaimer
Please read our Site Disclaimer...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

Dave54321
Dark amp to off-set bright B&W 685s
Just popping in
From Sheffield
Group:
Registered Users
I am looking for suggestions for a circa-£600 integrated stereo amp to compliment my B&W 685 speakers.

I currently use a Cambridge Audio A5, which with the B&W 685s is a tad harsh in the top end.
I also own a Rega Brio-R, which is stupidly bright with the 685s and causes ear fatigue.

I have been looking at Rotel reviews (e.g. RA-06SE) for obvious reasons, but even there I find a common criticism is that Rotels can be a little on the bright side - the last thing I need.

Of course I plan to do some demoing, but it would be nice to have some suggestions for a starting point. I don't mind if it only has one set of speaker outputs - I can get around that when connecting the sub (a Wharfedale SW150). So: any suggestions for a dark/smooth stereo integrated £600-ish amp?

P.S. I'm not interested in tube amps. I have been down that road already.

Posted on: 3/10 20:32

Edited by Dave54321 on 2012/3/10 21:29:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
Report Top

Ocean37
Re: Dark amp to off-set bright B&W 685s
Quite a regular
From Groningen
Group:
Registered Users
Marantz sound laid back and on the warm side. Maybe try one.

Posted on: 3/15 19:15

ivygreen
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
You stop your Pittsburgh Steelers, and Pittsburgh Steelers, and Pittsburgh Steelers shorts source.We have one for the whole family, including jerseys and youth of the women of the Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Steelers team nba cheap jerseys.

View all the top players of the Pittsburgh Steelers jerseys and Pittsburgh Steelers gear or line selection of your favorite Pittsburgh Steelers are a great price from the shops, the old school of the Pittsburgh Steelers jersey to reverse.We have chosen the wholesale nba jerseys and including top NCAA college football sweatshirts and college basketball jerseys.Clothing of the NCAA and the NCAA shirts, shorts, hats, and pay more attention to the nba jerseys for sale.

From our university personalized jersey, select your name and favorite number.Youth College jersey clothing for the whole family, including schools, shops for all your college gear here.U.S. Major League Baseball apparel, MLB jerseys, T-shirts, jackets, and all new custom Yankees jersey new extension of the line.We focus on providing customized MLB jersey, including everything from the road to replace the U.S. Major League Baseball jerseys and throwback jerseys MLB family and most of the United States Baseball League teamjersey.Or our personalized MLB jerseys customize your jersey MLB and select any number and any name. ivy3/16/2012

Posted on: 3/16 5:24
Report Top

audioslayer
Just popping in
From Gloucestershire, UK
Group:
Registered Users
Hi! I have heard that the Marantz PM7004 is a good amp. As ocean37 has already said, a good laid back sound is most likely to be expected.

Posted on: 4/21 11:27
Report Top

Ocean37
Quite a regular
From Groningen
Group:
Registered Users
And if you still experience the harsh sound after trying a Marantz 7004 as audioslayer suggested, I would recommend to solve the problem elsewhere in your system or acoustical environment.

Posted on: 4/21 14:04

audioslayer
Just popping in
From Gloucestershire, UK
Group:
Registered Users
Acoustic environment could be a potential problem as just said. Also, could a new choice of speaker cable and interconnects be a potential system saver?

Posted on: 4/21 15:52
Report Top

Ocean37
Quite a regular
From Groningen
Group:
Registered Users
Audioslayer,I am always a bit sceptic to solve issues with cables. Because, I think there is something wrong with the basics. And cables are to fine tune your hi-fi in my opinion.

It is also a misunderstanding that a tube amp will solve the harsh sound. When the tube amp will cut the top end off, it is clearly not sounding as it should.

I think the environment is the first suspect. Experimenting with that first, will already lead to some results I expect.

If still not satisfied, I would recommend connecting resistors between the filter and tweeters.

Posted on: 4/22 12:43

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Click to help keep HiFi Forum up and running!