Main Menu
HiFi Forum Help
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
4 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 4

more...
Contribute to Hosting!
If you like this site, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation! Your donation will be used to help me pay for hosting, as i'm making no other money from this site at all, and life is hard as a student sometimes
Contributers: julesnash, stormuk, 2 Anonymous...
Online History

-Matt-
7 hours 31 minutes ago

chilohm
10 hours 32 minutes ago

alan_g
14 hours 49 minutes ago

citisniper
1 day 1 hour 54 minutes ago

fishsponge
1 day 19 hours 13 minutes ago

Yomanze
1 day 21 hours 3 minutes ago

Audio8
1 day 23 hours 8 minutes ago

DocFoster
2 days 9 hours 34 minutes ago

Fido
2 days 11 hours 35 minutes ago

uraken
2 days 13 hours 49 minutes ago
Advertisements
Site Info
Webmasters

fishsponge

Recommend Us
Site Disclaimer
Please read our Site Disclaimer...
   Loudspeaker layout - the great question once again!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Loudspeaker layout - the great question once again!
Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
Fishy,
Forgot to mention that my floorstanding Dynaudios sit on some weird round feet designed for hard floor use. I think the feet have spikes inside that sit on an external black plastic pad.
The feet came with the speakers when I bought them 2nd hand and I have no idea how much they cost.
In any event, I should imagine for carpet standing the feet would give a less rigid platform than spikes, so ignore these ramblings.
DF

Posted on: 2006/4/24 12:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
Report Top

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
right, due to the fact that i'm on a budget, i have come to terms with the fact that i'm not gonna get exactly what i want for my original price...

Given that my hifi is currently in a wooden shelf unit that was purchased from Ikea, unless i just put it on the floor, it's not gonna get any worse than this, and for that reason, what do you guys think to this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=5344345

I realise it has 4 legs, and they're not spiked, but i'm sure they could be if i obtain some spikes and a hacksaw. It's also going to go on a carpeted concrete floor, and i don't have a turntable, so vibration is not a great concern.

My only concern is that the biggest shelf is 20cm high, but my amp (Yamaha RX-V357) is 15cm high, which doesn't leave much air above it for ventilation. I could always put my amp on the top shelf though, i guess...

Posted on: 2006/4/26 14:29

Edited by fishsponge on 2006/4/26 14:53:28
This site is funded out of my own pocket, so if you are feeling generous, please

Looking to buy something online? Then buy it through one of the links on the Mongeese Shopping Center! All commission from your purchases will go towards keeping this site up and running
Report Top

Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
I've also found that 'customising' hifi anciliaries (e.g. with a hacksaw) is a fulfilling activity. (I see it as the poor man's - or rather unskilled man's hifi DIY.) Go for it.

Re. your 5cm ventilation clearance, I would imagine that this would be sufficient, if you view your amp on the top shelf as aesthetically off-putting.

DF

Posted on: 2006/4/27 9:30
Report Top

4-legged rack and a hacksaw? I see a two-inch high rack in your future...
Home away from home
From Johannesburg, South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
... after multiple hacksaw interventions to get the rack to stand without rocking on an uneven floor...

Posted on: 2006/4/27 9:37

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
i'll have you know, i'm pretty good when it comes to DIY and hacksawing stuff actually!

I was taught by my father who used to be a carpenter/joiner many years ago, and the "measure twice, cut once" way of doing things has always stuck, which should mean i'll get it right first time, but then, who knows...

Posted on: 2006/4/27 9:57
This site is funded out of my own pocket, so if you are feeling generous, please

Looking to buy something online? Then buy it through one of the links on the Mongeese Shopping Center! All commission from your purchases will go towards keeping this site up and running
Report Top

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
moving topic to new "Listening Environment" forum...

Posted on: 2006/4/27 14:43

Report Top

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
ok, i have now planned the room exactly as i think it should be, based on everything i've read here, and the opinions of all other people concerned.

Please see attached computer-generated photos (the colors aren't exactly correct, and the cabinets are not quite the same, but you get the idea...).

There's two pictures of the lounge from a standing position, and one picture as if you were sitting on the sofa.

Whaddya reckon??

Attach file:

jpg  Lounge 1.jpg (163.39 KB)

jpg  Lounge 2.jpg (100.33 KB)

jpg  View from Sofa 1.jpg (145.45 KB)

Posted on: 2006/5/2 15:44

Report Top

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
ok, i have finally picked up the keys to my new house!

Since i got the keys, on Friday, me and my girlfriend have obviously been turning the empty shell of a house, into a functional and comfortable home, and i have to say - the lounge is looking good!

I don't have everything in there just yet, but what i do have looks just like my CGI pics above in my previous post!

Needless to say, i'll let you all know how it sounds, and i'll post some pics too later on...

How exciting! lol

Posted on: 2006/6/18 8:22

Report Top

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
ok, people - the moment of truth - the pictures of the (pretty much) finished lounge/listening room/home cinema!

See attached virtual pics and real pics below...

(OK, they're not the best pics in the world, but they show what i want them to show, nevertheless )

Attach file:

jpg  01 - Lounge 1.jpg (163.39 KB)

jpg  02 - Lounge 1.jpg (119.86 KB)

jpg  03 - Lounge 2.jpg (100.33 KB)

jpg  04 - Lounge 2.jpg (111.54 KB)

jpg  05 - View from Sofa.jpg (145.45 KB)

jpg  06 - View from Sofa.jpg (121.57 KB)

jpg  07 - HiFi Rack.jpg (138.24 KB)

Posted on: 2006/6/29 21:29

Report Top

Webmaster
From Cambridge, UK
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
is nobody impressed with my photos above?

i put so much effort into those CG images! lol

Posted on: 2006/7/7 9:05

Report Top

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Register To Post

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.