Main Menu
HiFi Forum Help
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
5 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 5

more...
Contribute to Hosting!
If you like this site, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation! Your donation will be used to help me pay for hosting, as i'm making no other money from this site at all, and life is hard as a student sometimes
Contributers: julesnash, stormuk, 2 Anonymous...
Online History

DevillEars
3 hours 8 minutes ago

-Matt-
12 hours 24 minutes ago

chilohm
15 hours 25 minutes ago

alan_g
19 hours 41 minutes ago

citisniper
1 day 6 hours 46 minutes ago

fishsponge
2 days 5 minutes ago

Yomanze
2 days 1 hour 55 minutes ago

Audio8
2 days 4 hours ago

DocFoster
2 days 14 hours 26 minutes ago

Fido
2 days 16 hours 27 minutes ago
Advertisements
Site Info
Webmasters

fishsponge

Recommend Us
Site Disclaimer
Please read our Site Disclaimer...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

All in a bank holiday's work...!
Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
I've been largely absent from the forum over the past week or so.
Here's why: The almost obligatory bank holiday decorating chore.

However, as always, results are pleasing once the dust sheets are folded away (please see photo below). This year the front room (also my listening room) was top of the list. Anyone who has seen my posted photos of the room prior to last weekend will see why the lounge was the priority!

As well as emulsioning walls and satining woodwork, I turned my hands to adding a mains spur for my hifi. I want to point out that this was driven largely by practical motivations (rather than by claimed improvements to sonic performance). The consumer unit for my house happens to be right behind my left speaker (a metre or so from the main hifi - see photo below), yet the nearest socket is several metres away, on the other side of the gas fire. This meant a long (and ugly) run of extension cable across the front of the fire.

So in went the new trip switch (10A - it's powering hifi and DLP projector) and (unswitched) socket (see photo - the new trip is the one sitting proudly to the right of the pannel). Also please note the (very short) run of Isotek cable linking the new socket to the consumer unit. This was a length of cable I cut off an Isotek 'Mainline' conditioner some time ago. It's been sitting in the shed for a while, so I thought I'd put it to good use.

So far the new electrics are working fine and (touch wood) no one in the house has been electrocuted.
Most importantly, everyone in the house is happy that there's one less length of cabling from "that stereo" "cluttering" up the lounge.

I don't want to make any comments on whether the new spur has improved sonic performance. I've only recently acquired that NVA passive preamp and cabling, and so hadn't really had time to learn the new sound of my system prior to the new spur. Add to that the 36 hours when I did no listening at all (due to the lounge being cleared for decorating) and I'm not in a position to honestly say what, if any effect, the new spur has had.
I can say that I am very happy that my hifi is sounding better than ever (especially with CD) following recent (relatively inexpensive) changes to passive preamp, NVA cables and mains spur.

I think it's the kitchen next time...

DF

Attach file:

jpg  100_1166.JPG (47.57 KB)

jpg  100_1164.JPG (48.59 KB)

jpg  100_1163.JPG (44.60 KB)

Posted on: 4/13 19:39:19
Report Top

Register To Post

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.