Main Menu
HiFi Forum Help
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 3

more...
Contribute to Hosting!
If you like this site, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation! Your donation will be used to help me pay for hosting, as i'm making no other money from this site at all, and life is hard as a student sometimes
Contributers: julesnash, stormuk, 2 Anonymous...
Online History

fishsponge
14 minutes ago

rhmbus
3 hours 50 minutes ago

smittyman
4 hours 14 minutes ago

nicklouse
22 hours 47 minutes ago

Provider
1 day 3 hours 13 minutes ago

theadmans
1 day 5 hours 31 minutes ago

silver-fox
2 days 2 hours 20 minutes ago

blip
2 days 6 hours 36 minutes ago

Deckard
2 days 9 hours 6 minutes ago

buckerss
2 days 12 hours 49 minutes ago
Advertisements
Site Info
Webmasters

fishsponge

Recommend Us
Site Disclaimer
Please read our Site Disclaimer...
   do cables make any difference ?

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

(1) 2 3 4 »

do cables make any difference ?
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hope Im not "trolling" here :) , I just cant hear a difference myslf

I have a high end system , SME 30 , triplanr ultimate , lyra titan , manley steelhead , CAD 211 AE mono tube amps (cary audio) and nautilus 802 (spkrs need upgrading I know ...Im looking at eidolons).

My dealer came around with £15k worth of wires(mains cables and interconnects).I had £50 worth of cabling in all my system at the time.There was no change in the sound at all and I still have the £50 wires.

I believe better spend the money on an upgrade of your source or even better on acoustic room treatments.People spending £5k on the syatem and £2k on wires are mad in my mind.

FACT:no one can tell the difference in wires in ABX double blind tests, although many people argue this methodology is invalid.But they never test a £5k system with £2k wires vs a £7k system , if they did Im sure the £7k system would win

FACT:there is lots of wire in your system already, are you gonna change that too ?

FACT:

I think spkr wire and mains cables definetely dont matter , interconnects Im not 100% sure.

The shunyata python was reviewed as making a huge difference to a system just by being plugged into an outlet in the kitchen and not even attached to an appliance by one respected reviewer.Didnt Ken Kessler long since refuse to review spkr cables anymore ?

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Posted on: 5/22 19:13:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
Report Top

Re: do cables make any difference ?
Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
I'd agree that if one is going to spend £2k on your system, unless you already have the seem to be an inefficient way to spend the cash!
I agree re. mains cables too.
On the face of it your system is clearly top notch, and one would imagine would present a good context in which to try out wires. As you heard no difference - clearly you made the right choice to stick with your £50 cables.

However...I do believe that I have heard differences between SOME (not all) interconnects in my system (my girlfriend did the swaps in a 'blind' test). Van den Hul to my ears were more 'detailed' (possibly bright) than QED and Chord Company (they sounded the same as freebies). Most recently I trialled NVA SSP cables which I hear as an improvement on the Van den Huls. Both the VdH and the NVAs are at the 'affordable' end of the wire world (around £100 - nowhere near 2k!). I cannot say whether yet more money would bring any differences / improvements.

Presumably in theory at least, shorter cables sound better than longer ones of the same type...?

DF

Posted on: 5/22 22:37:12
Report Top

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
The interconnects job is simple, to ensure the signal that comes from the source gets to the destination in the same condition.
Simple rules, good conductive cable ( silver or copper ), good conductive connectors ( machined from solid copper ), and connectors that fit snugly onto the source/destination terminals.
Yes they can make a difference, but you dont need to spend a fortune to get good cables. I spent The shorter the cable the better.

A8

Posted on: 5/23 7:31:13
Report Top

Guest_
Post removed by fishsponge

Posted on: 5/23 13:02:00

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:03:36
Report Top

Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
Richard,
Good to have your delicate toe dipped in this one. As always your informed input is most welcome here.
Can you clarify which pieces of the thread are "uninformed nonsence"?
Some of the previous comments in this and other threads do appear to tie in with your thoughts. I am the first to admit that I am relatively technically uninformed, though I like to think that I am not (always) nonsensical.
As stated I agree that cables can be a cost effective upgrade, but to the uninformed, there are also a lot of charlatans that are selling bits of wire at ludicrous prices, and indeed, poor quality wine too.
DF

Posted on: 5/23 13:24:26

Edited by DocFoster on 2007/5/23 15:28:28
Report Top

Guest_

Posted on: 5/23 13:39:07

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:03:46
Report Top

Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
Who wants sterile postings...?

But at the same time, thanks for clarifying!
What do you think would be a ball park cost figure for a 'good' "gain stage interface"? Not £2k surely...?!
DF

Posted on: 5/23 15:26:27
Report Top

Guest_

Posted on: 5/23 16:41:30

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:03:57
Report Top

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Richard,

Many thanks for your kind words Richard.
I still think the interconnects job is simple, to reproduce the source signal at the destination end.
But as you have so kindly written in your previous post "it shows a complete lack of understanding"

What do I know - nonsense apparently !
A8

Posted on: 5/23 20:33:33
Report Top

Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
Audio 8,
Take it as impersonally as possible.
Richard is many things.
One of those is a grumpy old ******.
But I suspect that he is also rather cuddly in his spare time.
Everyone be assured your contributions are welcome and most valued!
Was it Milton who said "Debate is the road to knowledge [sic]"?
DF

Posted on: 5/23 22:07:04
Report Top

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
(1) 2 3 4 »

Register To Post

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Partners: Cambridge Directory :: Unix Man Pages / Linux Man Pages :: Smart CD Shelves :: IsoTek Gemini 2 Way
Unix/Linux Forum :: SIP VoIP Phone & Provider Reviews :: Mongeese.co.uk Shopping Center :: UNIX/Linux Forum Archives