Main Menu
HiFi Forum Help
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Who's Online
7 user(s) are online (4 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 7

more...
Contribute to Hosting!
If you like this site, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation! Your donation will be used to help me pay for hosting, as i'm making no other money from this site at all, and life is hard as a student sometimes
Contributers: julesnash, stormuk, 2 Anonymous...
Online History

fishsponge
5 minutes ago

rhmbus
3 hours 41 minutes ago

smittyman
4 hours 5 minutes ago

nicklouse
22 hours 38 minutes ago

Provider
1 day 3 hours 4 minutes ago

theadmans
1 day 5 hours 22 minutes ago

silver-fox
2 days 2 hours 11 minutes ago

blip
2 days 6 hours 28 minutes ago

Deckard
2 days 8 hours 57 minutes ago

buckerss
2 days 12 hours 40 minutes ago
Advertisements
Site Info
Webmasters

fishsponge

Recommend Us
Site Disclaimer
Please read our Site Disclaimer...
   do cables make any difference ?

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Register To Post

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: do cables make any difference ?
Guest_
Post removed by fishsponge

Posted on: 5/23 22:43:57

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:01:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
Report Top

Home away from home
From Gloucester
Group:
Registered Users
Only The Buddha was fully enlightened.

Personally I agree with the 'not yet measurable variables' notion too (I've rambled on about this before I think). Clearly graphs that indicate frequency response or distortion, etc.,... paint a partial picture at best.

Are there any further thoughts on cable length?: Does size matter? (Sorry that tabloidism was inevitable.)

DF

Posted on: 5/23 23:15:02
Report Top

Guest_

Posted on: 5/23 23:36:52

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:01:51
Report Top

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
I like the thread, but I’m confused by the level of fractured logic from some contributors. For this reason (and others) I’m with Audio8 on this matter.

IMHO, the perceived sonic improvement coupled with value consideration and budget drives the consumer’s opinion / purchase decision. All of these are strictly and personally the concern of the individual.

Posted on: 5/24 0:24:34
Report Top

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Congrats DocFoster, 1000 posts!!!.

Now I feel partly responsible, If Richard hadnt been in a foul mood, and if i hadnt taken offence perhaps you may never have got there ! ( although something tells me 1000posts is only the start !! )

A8

Posted on: 5/24 6:45:18
Report Top

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
I’d always been sceptical of cables offering much in the way of sonic differences and have been using same MIT interconnect for years without much thought(see my previous thread). However, after comparing a cheap £10 cable through Ebay (Gothams - much raved over in various hi-fi forums) the sonic differences were far from subtle.

The Gothams had a warm analogue (or at least non-digital) sound that rounded off the harder edges but made the music sound ‘veiled’, whereas the MIT’s were more dynamic, timed better, and just sounded more ‘musical’.

Different recordings / styles suited different cables – the digital harshness I’d experienced on Jeff Buckley’s Grace sounded natural and lush through the Gothams, whereas they made Kind of Blue sound sluggish and complex classical music was completely lifeless.

I’m not one to sit down and analyse the sounds coming out of my hi-fi, I just want my system to disappear from the equation and lose myself in the music, but I’ve now found myself jumping up mid song with a cable held aloft, racing towards the back of my amp… not good when you’ve settled comfortably into the sofa with a healthy dose of malt whiskey in yer hand…

Richard – care to recommend any manufacturers cables around the £35 mark you mention as affording comparable quality with pricier cables that may cure me of this affliction?

Posted on: 5/24 10:10:49
Report Top

Guest_

Posted on: 5/24 11:39:25

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:02:02
Report Top

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, they look like an interesting manufacturer.

I note they do a slightly more expensive cable, the Sound Pipe..? Have you auditioned these?

Jim

Posted on: 5/24 13:09:14
Report Top

Guest_

Posted on: 5/24 14:13:26

Edited by fishsponge on 2007/6/1 10:02:17
Report Top

Home away from home
From Cyprus
Group:
Registered Users
Okay guys,here's the "short" answer.cables DO make a difference.As Richard said(welcome to the forum btw) your system or yourself has to be able to resolve those difference.There are 2 problems to this.Problem 1 : One has to be able to know where to stop,Once you pass a certain price range,the rule of diminishing returns kicks in.A 5000 GBP ic isn't 100 times better than a 50 GBP one.Problem 2 there are some equipment that are in a way "immune" to ic changes.That doesn't make them better than the rest.It is the way they were designed.

Posted on: 5/25 7:47:58
Report Top

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Register To Post

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Partners: Cambridge Directory :: Unix Man Pages / Linux Man Pages :: Made to Measure Shelving :: IsoTek Titan Multi-Link
Unix/Linux Forum :: SIP VoIP Phone & Provider Reviews :: Mongeese.co.uk Shopping Center :: UNIX/Linux Forum Archives